All animal control duties fall to Vermilion County Animal Control 217-431-2660.
General Guidelines for Keeping Animals:
- Pet owners may keep up to three dogs and/or three cats within the city, except for a litter of puppies or a litter of kittens under five months of age.
- Animals must have adequate food, water, shade or shelter. They may not be exposed to hot, stormy, cold or inclement weather.
- Dogs older than four months must be inoculated against rabies annually and the tag must be attached to the dog's collar or harness.
- A metal or other suitable tag inscribed with the name, address and phone number of the owner must be attached to the dog's collar or harness.
- All dogs on city streets, sidewalks, alleys, unenclosed places or on private property of any person other than the owner must be firmly held on a leash, otherwise they are considered 'running at large.'
- Any dog permitted to run at large within the city is declared to be a nuisance.
- When dogs are found running at large or unlicensed and their ownership is known, such dogs may be impounded and subject to redemption fees.
- Dogs and cats are not permitted in the cemetery or any park other than the dog run at the Dam.
- Dogs must be prevented from habitually barking, howling or yelping and cats must be prevented from habitually crying or howling.